Quick Fix Exercise Snack Workout with Bands and Loops!
Get Fit for the New Year: Create New Habits / Exercise Snack 1 – Legs
General Tip: Walk around the office for five minutes – use the stairs if available to increase cardio intensity. Perform each of the following exercises for 60 seconds with the loop equipment.
Hectic schedule at work? Not enough hours in the day? With our Exercise Snack Workouts, one problem is solved. We can’t adjust your schedule or make your days longer, but we can give you a total body training format for the office. Complete the full program in just three 10-minute Exercise Snack Breaks during the day using bands and loops.
As a personal trainer, I look at the body as a remarkable machine capable of extending its battery life with just a few tune-ups each day. If you don’t have time to wait until you get home to exercise or don’t want to get up little earlier, here are a few simple exercises you can do at the office or wherever you spend most of your day. Start the year differently!
Perform ten repetitions in two sets. Be sure to do ten reps on each leg when the exercise calls for it.
- SEATED JACKS – Seated on the edge of your chair, position the loop above the knees. Move the legs slowly apart and together – i.e. similar to traditional standing jumping jack! To increase the intensity, use your arms and lift both feet off of the floor one to two inches throughout the exercise.
Training Tip: Engage the core muscles, lengthen the spine and maintain the shoulders vertically over the hips. Avoid leaning over too far back.
- CHAIR SQUAT – Seated on the edge of your chair, position the loop, flat above the knees and maintain slight outward tension on the loop. Stand up from your chair (the goal is to not utilize the arms for assistance) and then return to a seated position. To increase the intensity, raise up on your toes before sitting back down (slowly).
Training Tip: Do not do this on a chair with rollers.
- SEATED LEG EXTENSION – Seated on the edge of your chair, position the loop above your ankles. Lift one foot one to two inches off the floor; straighten and bend the knee kicking the leg forward. Complete 30 seconds on each leg.
Training Tip: Make sure that the hips, knees and toes all face directly forward throughout the exercise. Do not lock (over extend) the knee. Avoid leaning back too far.
- STANDING LEG CURL – Stand behind your chair with hands on the chair back, position the loop above the ankles. Bend and straighten one knee, lifting the heel toward the buttocks. Complete 30 seconds on each leg.
Training Tip: Keep the knee pointed directly to the floor during the exercise.
- STANDING LEG LIFT – Stand behind your chair with hands on the chair back, position the loop above the ankles. Keeping the knee straight, lift the leg behind the body a few inches off the floor. Complete 30 seconds on each leg.
Training Tip: Engage the core muscles (tummy) and avoid lifting too high; this exercise should be felt in the gluts/tush (buttocks), not in the lower back.
General Tip: The Exercise Snack Workout is simple, effective and time-efficient….and it can be done at home as well as at the office. Make this fun format a family affair while watching TV in the evening – make the most out of those precious minutes! Next week: Part Two – Arms
If you would like to learn more about the safest and best ways to keep stay strong and reduce the effects of disease and have fun doing it, visit our website at www.lorimichielfitness.com or contact us via email or call 818-620-1442. We see fitness differently!