Get Fit for the New Year: Create New Habits / Exercise Snack 3 – Core
Hectic schedule at work? Not enough hours in the day? With our Exercise Snack Workouts, one problem is solved. We can’t adjust your schedule or make your days longer, but we can give you a total body training format for the office. Complete the full program in just three 10-minute Exercise Snack Breaks during the day using bands and loops.
As a personal trainer, I look at the body as a remarkable machine capable of extending its battery life with just a few tune-ups each day. If you don’t have time to wait until you get home to exercise or don’t want to get up little earlier, here are a few simple exercises you can do at the office or wherever you spend most of your day. Start the year differently!
General Tip: To gain the most from each exercise, never allow the band to have any “slack”….always keep slight tension on the band.
Resistance bands are an excellent complement to your equipment arsenal. They are lightweight, portable and come in different colors which represent resistant strength. Be sure they are free of rips and tears before using.
Walk around the office for five minutes – use the stairs if available to increase intensity.
- BACK EXTENSION – Seated on the edge of the chair, place the band under both feet and hold the ends in each hand. Sit up tall in your chair, lengthening the spine and arching gently back (there should be NO discomfort). At the same time, roll the shoulders back and down, drawing the shoulder blades together to press the chest up and out. Hold for 10 seconds. Repeat six times.
KNEE HUG – Seated on the edge of your chair, position the band around your back and under the arms, holding the ends in each hand. Arms lifted at the sides with elbows bent and palms facing inward. Round forward in your chair as if hugging the both knees. Perform ten repetitions in two sets. Be sure to do ten reps on each leg when the exercise calls for it.
Trainer Tip: Draw the abdominal muscles inward to breathe forcefully out with each repetition.
- ROTATE and BEND – Seated on the edge of your chair, hold the ends of the band in each hand and lift the arms in front with elbows slightly bent. Arms should be at, or slightly forward of, the ears.
- Turn the upper body and look to the RIGHT side and hold for a count of four; return center and then continue to the LEFT side, holding for count of four. Repeat two more times to each side.
- Facing forward, lean from the waist toward the RIGHT side, without turning the shoulders to the front or the back. Hold for count of four; return center and then continue to the LEFT side, holding for count of four. Repeat two more times to each side.
- ALTERNATING ANKLE REACH – Seated on the edge of your chair, position the band around your back and under the arms, holding the ends in each hand. Arms lifted at the sides with elbows bent and palms facing inward. Lift one foot up while turning the hip outward; at the same time, turn the body slightly and reach the opposite hand toward the ankle. Alternate between legs in a slow, controlled manner. Perform ten repetitions in two sets. Be sure to do ten reps on each leg when the exercise calls for it.
Training Tip: Put more focus on moving the core of the body instead of just the arms and legs. Visualize the rib cage turning and tilting toward the front pocket of your jeans.
General Tip: The 3 x 10 Exercise Snack Workout is simple, effective and time-efficient…and it can be done at home as well as at the office. Make this fun format a family affair while watching TV in the evening – make the most out of those precious minutes!
If you would like to learn more about the safest and best ways to stay strong and reduce the effects of disease and have fun doing it, visit our website at www.lorimichielfitness.com or contact us via email or call 818-620-1442. We see fitness differently!